Removing rust spots from the seal

Ir em baixo

Removing rust spots from the seal

Mensagem por Psique10 em Ter Jun 21, 2011 5:38 pm

To remove the rust of the seals, we need a potion of potassium permanganate, water and lemon. Any philatelist stamp always has some rust, even if rust is not that strong with very characteristic appearance of orange, red to brown, but beyond this advanced stage of the process of rust, without realizing we have in our collections lot of stamps already contamination of early rust. We must carefully observe the seals on the back and found that many of them already have yellowish stains that do not look after a little time after time they will have definitely committed to paper.

Dr. Kazuo Kato and Dr. Alex Paul Picanco study called "The Rust on stamps, a telemicose" say and show that the element that causes rust on the stamps is not iron but a fungus that attacks any type of paper . It's the best study I know about rust on stamps, writing in the 70s. (In the Library of SPP has this study to interested parties) know that the method of removing rust seals actually removes rust and keeps the seal for longer immune to it, but the invisible mark that rust has caused the paper remains forever, is irreversible, but can only be seen if the label getting wet with water or benzene, it then appears as the seal is wet, then will again be invisible. To avoid this stage of the process of rust should clean the stamp as soon as the yellowish stains are starting to appear.

1) - First place a potion of potassium permanganate in a glass or plastic, with approximately one liter of water. The amount of potassium permanganate can be equivalent to one teaspoon of coffee, not too full, this is the permanganate powder, or can we buy cards with the pharmacy in small tablets, placing only one for each liter of water.

2) - Then moisten the stamps and put in clean water in the container prepared with permanganate solution and let the act for 3 or 4 minutes.

3) - After we removed the seals that are blackened with appearance by the action of permanganate, washed in clean water and put in another container already prepared with a pint of water and half a squeezed lemon juice (citric acid) and leave work for over 3 or 4 minutes.

4) - After this time the seals have already returned to its natural color, because the mixture of water with lemon yellow color that has pulled left by the permanganate. Now the seals washed again in clean water and let dry on sheets of newspaper or paper napkin or paper roll wall.

We must take great care when handling the seals while they are wet because this will be very fragile condition. When the seals are almost completely dry, put them in books or directories, so that finally pressed dry between sheets smooth and look good and looking good.

We must be careful to mark the sheets that we put the stamps as they often can not find them later. Another precaution that we take when we use the process of cleaning the rust: Do not place the envelopes in immersion are written with water-based paints, which was common before the advent of the ballpoint pens, as well as not cleaning stamps blue or pink , these stamps from 1850 to 1900, because until then the colors were purposely made to lose their color if they were washed with the intention of reusing the seals. After this work, we will have our seal of stamps again with perfect features.

There are other rapid methods using small amount of bleach or any other similar diluted with water, or using liquid Daquin, found in pharmacies, which, when passed over the rust, it's gone pretty, but I'm not accustomed to using these processes because after a while the rust reappears or leaves yellowed paper.

The philatelist is careful when purchasing high value stamps, put them in benzene to see if they contain some marks or repairs chemical treatment, due to the removal of rust, done at some time previously. One thing is certain: If you do not remove the rust of the seals, this will totally destroy the seals and they lose their value as a whole. It is better that the seal be cleaned up, even with almost imperceptible signs, than lose it altogether.

To remove rust from the envelopes, the process is the same, but we must have larger vessels and as appropriate quantities must also be larger, but in the same proportions described. To prevent the envelope decomposes or loose stamps, we can put it between two nylon screens fastened with clips during the treatment process, just clean the screens when they are almost dry, then we put the envelopes open or closed if any, between absorbent sheets, with weights on top so they are well pressed. If the seals to loosen up, can be replaced on the charts, but never use Pritt glue stick or similar type, nor tenacious glue type, because they do not release more, we should stick with vegetable glues like gum arabic or even fix the stamps with hinges on If not, find the appropriate adhesive.

The good philatelist should take some preventive care before the onset of rust, so that the collection is preserved for much longer. We must guard our collections in dry, ventilated and away from the sun or its heat. Periodically we flip through our collections to not be contaminated with mites or mildew, caused by moisture, but we can not keep dry and in places completely sealed, no air at all, in this case because the seals lose PH needed in its composition, thus dry and brittle, almost crumbling, decomposing itself after a long period of time. Perhaps the worst effect of dryness of the role of the humidity.

When we use protective plastic type Havid, we must take care to cut a little larger, about 3m / m higher than the seals, to give greater protection to the seals, because on several occasions in which part or perforation of the stamps were out of the protector These shares were infected with rust. When we use hinges for attaching the labels, should always dampening them using a damp cloth and a mild leaning cloth in hinge so that it is simply in a position to use what we can do is to use saliva for this purpose because saliva has acids that over time damage the seal.

We must not peruse the collections near windows on rainy days because the moist air being contribute to the appearance of rust on the stamps. The stamps are manufactured on the paper, which is not eternal, we can only increase or decrease the length of them, so we must take all measures to remain perfect as long as possible. It is common to hear talk that was common in old papers the appearance of rust, the roles and gums are better today, but we constantly have seals recent periods with marks of yellowing, which is the beginning of the process of rust. We see well what we have gained as stamps with rust can contaminate our collections, albums or binders.
Mr. Marques da Silva is president of the Paulista Philatélica. .

Psique10

Re: Removing rust spots from the seal

Mensagem por Glauber em Ter Jun 21, 2011 10:19 pm

Ai, meu Deus!

Temos que utilizar, mais uma vez, o tradutor?!
Sad Sad Sad

E olha que esse assunto já fora debatido aqui em nosso fórum.

Selos 'usados' de séries básicas.
Glauber

Mensagem por Ernane Ferreira em Ter Jun 21, 2011 11:08 pm

Thanks for posting info because we have people from others countries of the world that don't speak portuguese.
Ernane Ferreira

Mensagem por Psique10 em Qua Jun 22, 2011 2:01 am

Basketball
Psique10

Mensagem por Ernane Ferreira em Qua Jun 22, 2011 9:28 am

Basketball
Ernane Ferreira

Mensagem por Geoff B em Sab Set 29, 2018 9:15 pm

Psique10 escreveu:To remove the rust of the seals, we need a potion of potassium permanganate, water and lemon.

Thanks for that. I wondered how it was done. What intrigues me is that I collect stamps from many parts of the world - including Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay, Chile, Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela and the Guianas - but I only have observable  'rust' on my Brazilian stamps. Why is this? Is it the quality of the paper? Some other reason?

Geoff B

Mensagem por odilo em Sab Set 29, 2018 9:37 pm

Olá Geoff,
Eu penso que não são só os selos do Brasil que pegam ferrugem.
Acontece que por aqui raramente temos nossas casas climatizadas. Assim a temperatura alta (acima de 25º) combinada com umidade relativa do ar acima de 60% , qualquer papel sem tratamento vai amarelar depois de dois ou mais anos.
Veja nos teus livros ai se tens alguns com paginas amareladas. 
Faça uma experiência. Pegue selos destes países que citastes. Coloque eles dentro de um envelope e guarde eles no armário ou gaveta no quarto de banho ou um lugar quente e úmido. De tempos em tempos vai olhando e anotando as mudanças. 
Sucesso.

Coleciono países: Brasil, Alemanha (tudo), Suíça, Argentina, Portugal e USA. Série: Machins . Continuo juntando material para uma coleção sobre meios de transportes. Recente: Um país um selo. Futuro: Recortes de história postal. Reino dos Sérvios, Croatas e Slavos (1918-1929).
odilo

https://recuperandoselospostais.blogspot.com/

Mensagem por Geoff B em Sab Set 29, 2018 10:43 pm

Hi Odilo

I fully understand that it happens even here, but I remove all stamps with obvious ‘rust’ from my collection and put them in a separate folder, out of the way - and I assure you that, to date, the only stamps in that folder are Brazilian.

Geoff B

Mensagem por Geoff B em Dom Set 30, 2018 10:22 am

On reflection, it’s probably because I have more Brazilian stamps than from the rest of South America.

Apart from ‘rust’ spots, I have a few toned stamps (discoloured). I assume that the sun is responsible, but does anyone know of any way to remove the discolouration without affecting the stamp? I'm very wary of bleaching.

Thanks in anticipation

Geoff B

Mensagem por Conteúdo patrocinado

Conteúdo patrocinado

Permissão deste fórum: